Pages

February 06, 2010

DIE ANTWOORD

When I first heard 
DIE ANTWOORD
*click name for link

I was like what the fuck...

South African rap? Progeria? Those are a few of my favorite things! I didn't have to search much because that shit was ALL over the Internet. Upon first glance my brain screamed then whispered to my eyes "Ok. These people are straight out of a Harmony Korine movie. Where am I? Look at those high-cut blonde bangs?! There's the progi. Oh shit, this actually sounds good! I feel weird. I think I'm falling in love."


Their music is well-produced, their website is fancy as hell, and their videos look clean so the jumpoff to their immediate popularity obviously wasn't some kind of random Youtube fame. We've got some marketing geniuses and strong backers up in here. Quick Googlin' revealed them to have trickled into the scene slowly..until some powerball pulled the trigger and unleashed them onto the masses this week.




I love Yo-landi Vi$$er. The only other South African female that came close to mesmerizing me this much was a young Charlize Theron. When I heard Yo-landi singing on "Enter The Ninja," her sweet high-pitched chorus automatically made me think of Aqua! And I am quite alright with those two dollar signs in her name (unlike Ke$ha).
More Googlin' shows that the two leads, Yo-Landi and Ninja are actually married and have been around the South Africa scene for a long time under various alternate band monikers. Ninja is also known as "Da Ali G of South Africa" according to a source from Videogum, but you can't deny they have something special, even if it's not "real".

What can we expect from this crew? I personally am fantasizing about collabs with Diplo and Major Lazer along with an Eric Wareheim video, a catfight between Lady Gaga and Yo-landi and all of them hanging out at my favorite LA taco truck with me at 3am. Satirical, scary, fake. Whatever opinion you might have of them, they are now here with catchy tracks, legit talent and have everybody's attention. Le
t's get some remixes done for them and take them to the "next level!"

CHECK OUT THESE VIDEOS


Taxijam presents Die Antwoord from taxijam on Vimeo.

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is Valued.